The Club Championships is open only to members of North Gloucestershire OC.
The series comprises of one race per calendar month. Competitors’ seven best scores are used to determine overall position.
The scoring system adjusts all courses into a single results table – it does not matter if you decide to run a different course from one race to the next. The scoring for each race will be based on all course finishers and not just members of North Gloucestershire OC, so for a points bonanza first you need to have a clean run, and second hope that few other “good” runners from other clubs are so fortunate! It would follow that the smaller, less well attended, races would yield the highest club champs scores in a season.
For 2017, the Championships is still evolving – past scores may be revised at no notice as a result of code developments or assumption changes.
Prizes will be awarded for:
- Male Club Champion
- Female Club Champion
- Junior Male Club Champion (M16-)
- Junior Female Club Champion (W16-)
- Handicap Club Champion (applying British Orienteering standard handicaps)
- Sun 22nd January: Danby Lodge, North Gloucestershire OC Galoppen
- Sun 5th February: New Beechenhurst East, Bristol OK and Avon Schools League
- Sun 12th March: Cwm Lickey, Welsh League and CompassSport Cup Qualifying Round
- Sun 23rd April: Kings Wood, South Wales OC Welsh League
- Mon 29th May: Brampton Bryan, Springtime in Shropshire Day 3
- Sun 11th June: Bristol Harbourside East, BOK Blast
- Sat 12th August: Knockalls, North Gloucestershire League forest sprint
- Sun 17th September: Haydon Wick (Swindon), North Wilts urban race
- Sun 22nd October: Virtuous Lady (Devon), CompassSport Cup Final
- Sun 12th November: Dudmaston, West Midlands League
- Sun 3rd December: Brierley, Bristol OK and Avon Schools League
NOTE – There will be only 11 races this season – after consideration we will reduce to 6 races to count.
Provisional end of year results are now available. Richard Purkis wins the overall title, and despite some effort from Andy Creber, he also claims the handicap. Other winners are: Vanessa Lawson (female), Peter Watson (junior male), and Rebecca Ward (junior female). This year was an experiment – we will be making changes for 2018 to simplify, and including the races most likely to be well attended by members. You can see the provisional 2018 schedule below – please get in touch with the Captain if you would like to nominate a race for inclusion.
Provisional dates for 2018:
14th Jan – Headless Hill, Forest of Dean (Bristol OK)
3rd Feb – Mallards Pike, Forest of Dean (North Gloucester OC) Middle Race
4th Feb – Mallards Pike, Forest of Dean (North Gloucester OC) Galoppen
24th Feb – Merthyr Mawr (South Wales) British Night Champs
11th Mar – The Slades (Quantocks) CompassSport Cup Qualifier – Venue TBC
5th May – Ross-on-Wye (North Gloucester OC) Urban Race
6th May – New Beechenhurst, Forest of Dean (Bristol OK) BOK Trot
14th Jul – Cooper’s Hill (North Gloucester OC) Forest Sprint #
1st Sep – Bath University (SWOA) British Sprint Champs
2nd Sep – Stock Hill, Somerset (SWOA) British Middle Champs
16th Sep – Cirencester (North Wilts) Urban Race
29th Sep – Pwll Du, Blaenavon (South Wales OC)
2nd Dec – Titterstone Clee (Harlequins OC)
(# contingent on being upgraded to “Regional” and awarding ranking points)
The 2018 calendar proposes making the most of all nearby major races – this causes an uneven spread across the calendar but it is hoped these will be the races most attractive to our members. Further races may be added into the calendar as details become available – please expect around 15 races to be included, with counting scores set *about* 50%.