The Club Championships is open only to members of North Gloucestershire OC.
2018 is the second year of this new competition and there are several small changes to the format based on lessons learned:
(1) Many people struggled to attend sufficient races to have a complete score – there will be more races this year. Competitor’s placing will be based on their best SIX scores.
(2) The one race per month guideline is dropped to allow a better selection of local races. Many Championship races are close by in 2018 and have been included to incentivise club attendance.
(3) The 2017 calculation required too much manual calibration and the adjustments made were not “auditable”. With improvements to the British Orienteering Ranking calculation, we will now base our calculations on this.
(4) Secondary impacts from (3) above mean that non-ranked courses will not score – therefore many juniors will be excluded if not running “Green” or above. Discussions with stakeholders suggested a preference for the Avon Schools League – exact nature of under-14s competition is TBC. We will retain classes for juniors under-16 as part of the main competition, even if they have no ranking score it can be interpolated from other runners on the course. Should a course not have sufficient runners finish for British Orienteering points to be awarded then a manual calculation will be made. The calculations can be replicated by simple spreadsheet relatively well.
(5) Scoring will be dependent on upload of results to British Orienteering’s website for calculation. This will be slower than previously and league tables will usually update a week after the race.
Unchanged from last year is the freedom to run any [ranked] course of your choice – the calculation is based on the whole British Orienteering membership and points will award performance against peers rather than placing on a course. i.e. to score well, you have to run well!
Prizes will be awarded for:
- Male Club Champion
- Female Club Champion
- Junior Male Club Champion (M16-)
- Junior Female Club Champion (W16-)
- Handicap Club Champion (applying British Orienteering standard handicaps)
More races will be added over the course of the year. Please enter early as prices may raise some time in advance of the race.
- Sun 14th January: Headless Hill, Bristol Orienteering Klub
- Sat 3rd February: Mallards Pike, Triple Gloucester Middle Race
- Sun 4th February: Mallards Pike, Triple Gloucester Long Race
- Sat 24th February: Merthyr Mawr, British Night Championships
- Sun 11th March: The Slades (Quantocks) TBC, CompassSport Cup Qualifying Round
- Sat 5th May: Ross-on-Wye, UK Urban League
- Sun 6th May: New Beechenhurst, BOK Trot
- Sat 14th July: Cooper’s Hill, Forest Sprint and North Gloucestershire League (TBC)
- Sat 1st September: Bath University, British Sprint Championship
- Sun 2nd September: Stock Hill, British Middle Championship
- Sun 16th September: Cirencester, South of England Urban League
- Sun 29th September: Pwll Du, Welsh League and Veterans Home International
- Sun 2nd December: Titterstone Clee, West Midlands League