Our first R2T2 event was, by all accounts, a great success. We had just over 70 competitors, split roughly equally between runners and bikers. The runners faced a marked course of just under 11km, with opportunities to reduce that to under 10km with a few shortcuts. The riders faced 18 controls, with an optimum distance of around 24km, which no one achieved, though some got very close. The event was based in Devauden Village Hall, and featured post race food, prizes, and plenty of time before(for the runners) and after the run/ride to analyse the map and consider the best options.
Prizes were awarded on a one prize per person basis as follows:
- First Male: Paul Murrin, Chepstow Harriers/NGOC
- First Female: Vanessa Lawson, Chepstow Harriers/NGOC
- First M40: Gary Davies, Mynyddwyr De Cymru (MDC)
- First W40: Sophie Gilbert, Chepstow Harriers
- First M60: Nick Dallimore, Mynyddwyr De Cymru (MDC)
- First W60: Shirley Robinson, NGOC
- First Male: Dan Sandford, Forest of Dean Athletic Club
- First Female: Claire Dallimore, Mynyddwyr De Cymru (MDC)
- First Male, Downhill time trial: Paul Dodd, Chepstow Harriers
- First female, Downhill time trial: Alice Bedwell, Mynyddwyr De Cymru (MDC)
- First Male, Flat time trial: Mark Buxton, Mynyddwyr De Cymru (MDC)
- First female, Flat time trial: Helen Brown, Forest of Dean Athletic Club
- First Male, Uphill time trial: Mostyn Jones, Caldicot Running Club
- First female, Uphill time trial: Caroline Dallimore, Mynyddwyr De Cymru (MDC)
Marcus Pinker won the special Man vs Bike prize as the fastest runner on the bike course, an unofficial class of entries which may well become official for the next event!
Mostyn Jones also gets a special mention as the only person to complete both courses – another class of entry we may introduce for next time.
We are working on R2T2-2, and looking at moving the venue from Five Acres Leisure Centre to the Pedalabikeaway bike centre at Cannop, a much better venue from the point of view of avoiding roads! Look out for more details soon.